What Electrical Work Requires A Certificate?
When carrying out electrical work, safety is always of the utmost concern, and any professional knows that this is the number one issue they always need to think about when working on anything and in any setting. When you are hiring an electrician, you want to know that they are following all regulations and to ensure that you can be confident in that, it is a good idea to know about the regulations yourself.

Part P

One that you should know about is when it is necessary to have a certificate. This will apply not just to professionals, but to any DIY electrical work that you might be trying to carry out too. Since 2005, all electrical work in dwellings in England and Wales must meet the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations. In April 2013 the requirements for England were amended. This is the case whether or not the work is notifiable to a building control body.

By complying with Part P, you and your family are kept safe from electrical hazards, avoiding fire and electric shock, so it is clearly very important.

Which Electrical Work Is Notifiable?

To have electrical work carried out, you should first know whether it is going to be notifiable or not. This is important before you hire someone, or especially if you are thinking about doing the work yourself. There are many situations when electrical work is notifiable, so it’s something that you need to be aware of from the outset.

Work is notifiable if it needs to be notified with Building Regulations. This is the case if a new circuit is being installed, a consumer unit or fuse box is being replaced, or there is going to be any alteration to an existing circuit in a special location such as a bathroom or a sauna.

Before Work Is Carried Out

So what do you need to do before any electrical testing and inspection is actually carried out in your home? First of all, you need to find out whether it is necessary to notify it, as above, for Building Regulations. Then you need to either hire someone who has the appropriate certification or seek it out yourself. If you are in any doubt at all, you should always seek the advice of your local electrician, just in case. They can always inform you.

Using A Registered Electrician

In fact, it is generally best to use a registered electrician for any electrical work, no matter how big or small it might be. They know what they are doing, they have the appropriate training and certification, and they will be best placed to inform you of whether the work is notifiable or not. All of that means that it is much easier, and there are fewer headaches, compared to trying to do it on your own. If you fail to use a registered electrician, not only are you putting yourself and your family at risk – you could also be breaking the law. It is best not to take the risk.

Need a registered electrician Swadlincote? We offer the following services:

Commercial Services


Commercial Electrical Installation


Preventative Maintenance


Periodic Reports + Compliance Certification


Surveillance + Safety Systems

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. For more information, please view our Privacy Policy

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.